Youth Services Librarian Job ( Full-Time)
Job Description: The Youth Services Librarian is a dynamic, innovative & dedicated professional Librarian with a genuine passion for and commitment to working with, engaging & inspiring children of all ages and their caregivers. They supervise nonprofessional staff as needed; plan and coordinate all aspects of youth services including collection development, community outreach, reference & programming; and have a thorough working knowledge of modern library policies and practices as well as current technologies and trends as they pertain to youth services. Must be energetic, organized, self-motivated and able to work under pressure and with only general supervision. Acts on the Director's behalf during his/her absence as requested. MLS from an accredited Library School and three to five years of recent or current experience as a Youth Services Librarian is preferred.
Accountability: Reports to the Library Director
Normal hours of duty: As scheduled, including evening hours and weekends in rotation.
- Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Except as specifically noted, the following functions are considered fundamental to this position:
- Primarily responsible for all aspects of Youth Services including reference, reader’s advisory, collection maintenance & development, program planning & implementation and outreach services. Delegates and supervises duties as needed.
- Maintains a fun, safe, and positive environment which encourages intellectual curiosity and a love of reading.
- Supervises a staff of 1-2 Assistant Children’s Librarians.
- Provides outreach services to area schools, after school programs, and other community groups.
- Assists library users in locating and obtaining information and materials.
- Assists in maintaining the library’s online presence – including website and social media accounts.
- Keeps abreast of and utilizes current technologies in support of information services, including but not limited to database & internet searching and use of social media and software applications.
- Collaborates with other members of the library’s management team in supervising a small corps of volunteers.
- As part of the management team, helps to develop and implement policies and procedures for improved library services.
- Works to maintain good internal communications among the staff and with the Director about building, staff and service issues.
- Participates in and represents the library in local and regional professional activities.
- Participates in and represents the library in community relations activities.
- Serves as a supervisor in the absence of other designated personnel.
- Enforces Library rules and regulations.
- Familiarity with and support of Library Bill of Rights and NH Privacy laws (patron confidentiality).
- Performs any and all other related duties as needed.
Specific Vocational Preparation Requirements:
Training, Skills and Experience Requirements: Experience with Library’s current ILS system or similar. Ability to work well with staff and public. Excellent computer literacy, communications and customer service skills. Demonstrated knowledge of Youth literature, programming and trends in Youth Services. Proven skills in storytelling and relating to children, especially pre-school children, and their parents. Appropriate reference and reader’s advisory skills. Ability to handle complaints from the public with composure and diplomacy.
Other Considerations and Requirements:
Job requires frequent walking, standing, stooping, and stair climbing. Good alpha-numeric skills necessary. Ability to listen, understand and interpret patron requests and questions critical. Employee should be able to work under pressure caused by high level of patron activity. Creativity and a sense of humor preferred.
Closing date: October 16, 2021 or until filled.
Salary: Annual salary for this full-time position is $47,840; includes benefit package with NHRS, Health, and Dental Insurance.
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references to the library director Arefe Koushki at email@example.com